Friday, January 28, 2005

Pathetic Statistic

In conference with a high school guidance counselor today, found out that over 40% of the freshmen class at our local high school has at least one F on their report card. Is this alarming to anyone???? In a town that has probably a much higher percentage of college grads then most, what does this say about our society? Said counselor says Video games/TV are a huge problem, creating kids that have to be constantly entertained. Other factors: one parent families/parents on drugs/parents who don't care. What has happened to motivation and a desire to get the good things in life? Or does this generation have the good things and figure they will always have them? How does one motivate students that just don't care? I'm not on a rant here, just truly concerned. You know the old adage, you can lead a horse to water , but you can't make him drink.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was shocked when Kerry told me this. I couldn't believe it. Especially when I think back to high school and my Freshman year. I didn't think it was that hard, so I couldn't understand why so many were failing.

Besides that kids don't care I think that their parents might care even less. I grew up in a single-parent home but my mom was very involved in making sure I did my homework and studied. I also had a great support system with my grandparents and my aunt. Not sure why it is happening...sure is sad that it is.

Zandra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home